How to prevent you getting heart diseases, and live for 6 to 9 years longer
9 steps to prevent heart diseases
Emergency Actions, if needed...
[Time to read: 8 mins]
1. Health protectors
- Total cholesterol level less than or equal to 5 mmol /L; half of all adults in England have too high cholesterol . Reducing LDL cholesterol by 1 mmol /L for 5 years lowers your risks of heart diseases & strokes by 1 in 4 (25%) [Lancet, Dec. 2017].
- Blood pressure less than 130/80 mm Hg. 7 million UK people are unaware they have high blood pressure [BHF, 2018]. Yet it affects 1 in every 4 adults, and can lead to heart diseases, strokes, dementia  and kidney diseases .
- No diabetes; how to prevent diabetes if at risk.
- If you smoke,
Use a free NHS local stop smoking service. Here are Stop smoking treatments from the NHS.
If you have all of these 4 health protectors, 20 years of medical research shows:
2. 9 steps to prevent heart diseases
2.1. First check your personal risk of getting heart disease. Use NHS heart age calculator – takes 3 minutes, and advises how to reduce your heart age.
2.4. Keep your blood pressure down – here are 5 steps you can take.
2.6. Watch videos? Got 2 minutes? Watch your own heart attack, a video by British Heart Foundation. If a woman, watch Elizabeth have ‘Just a little Heart Attack‘. Got 15 minutes? Watch video of 10 Warning Signs Your Heart Isn’t Working Properly.
2.8. Here are 12 extra ways to cut your blood pressure without drugs. Small changes can improve your health [10, 25].
3. Actions if heart emergency near you. Think and act FAST:
- Chest discomfort, pain, or discomfort in other areas of the upper body,
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, wanting to be sick or feeling light in the head. Call 999.
page updated 06 Jan. 2019. © social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.