Why do we need to change our lifestyle to improve our health? [Time to read: 4 mins]
Diseases of the heart and blood vessels are the UK’s biggest killers, causing 180,000 deaths every year in England & Wales . Most of those with diabetes, die from heart and stroke diseases . That’s 200 people every day.
NHS Choices says most deaths could be prevented by simple steps:
- If you smoke, , using a free NHS local stop smoking service.
- Get to a more healthy weight with NHS Choices. Like to try their weight reduction guide? Eat a healthy, balanced diet (8 simple NHS tips)
- Keep active with regular exercise – this will cut by half your risks of getting heart diseases, a stroke, diabetes or cancer [9, 11]. And most exercise is free! Check here to find out – are you doing enough exercise for your age? “Exercise is the miracle cure”, says the UK NHS.
- Why sitting for too long is bad for your health, even if you take plenty of exercise.
- These steps will help you keep your weight, blood pressure and cholesterol at healthy levels, improve your heart & blood health, and lower your risk of type 2 diabetes.
6. Actions? Decide what changes above you want to make, and your targets? Put them in your own draft healthcare plan, and discuss with your doctor.
page updated 05 May 2018. © 2018 by social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.