Here is a suggested framework for your own personal plan, with links to web pages with useful actions for a health plan. [Time to read: 6 mins]
Suggest you open a new file, and give it a name like ‘My health plan’. Start by copying headings that are important to you, from the ones listed below. Then, as you read health web pages and health magazines e.g. Balance, enter your plan actions under the right heading. Plans needs to include:
- Patient contacts & summary medical history, (I always carry an emergency card with these), and your wants and needs
- My other medical treatments’ plan
- My diet plan, and my more exercise plan
- My future health checks plan (tests/dates, annual review dates, etc.)
- My further learning plan (diabetes, heart, strokes)
- Instructions for emergencies:
- Going into hospital; waiting time too long? Contact your GP;
- Digestive upsets; sick day rules;
- how to avoid hospital-acquired infections – my patient’s checklist.
- Diabetes: Careline, dealing with hypos.
- Heart: what if possible heart attack?
- Stroke: what if possible stroke, or mini-stroke (TIA)? Remember ‘FAST‘.
- My notes on important happenings & questions for my doctor
- Targets discussed and agreed, e.g. blood tests, weight, smoking, exercise, with dates by.
Your plan will include some of the following that you choose as being important for you. Click on the links and put the headings you want into your plan.
Framework of your diabetes prevention plan
Living with heart failure: Personal record, This is from BHF, helping you to keep important notes about your heart failure, e.g. symptoms, medication and treatments, all in one place. It will help you & your health professionals to track your progress. Copy this personal record framework, or part of it, into your plan if needed.
Actions? Decide which sections, above, you want to put in your own health plan. Copy their sub-headings into your own ‘my health plan’ file. Then decide your detailed actions, dates by, or how often, and targets. Put them in your draft plan, to discuss with your doctor.
page updated 08 June 2018. © 2018 by social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.