Ask your own health questions by voice on your smart mobile, without typing.
- What is Google Assistant app?
- How to set it up on your smart mobile. [Time to read: 5 mins]
- What is Google (Assistant) app?
Google (Assistant) is a way to speak by voice with Google. Same Google search engine now lets users ask questions and give instructions by voice. With Machine Learning, Google will give better answers to each user, as it learns more about you. All you need is a smart Android mobile. Also there is a download app for iPhones: ‘Google Assistant’.
This conversation enables Google to understand you better; e.g. if you’re talking to someone about a gig and want to eat first, it will know that they link and give you helpful information like how far apart they are. Can use it to set an alarm or create a reminder; or get it to remember a bike lock combination. It will talk to you about the weather; or you can ask it “what can you do?”
2. How to set up Google Assistant on your Android mobile:
- Set up Google Chrome as your Internet browser.
- On your PC and tablet, go to Google ‘Settings’ > ‘advanced’ >’content settings’, and turn on ‘location’ and ‘microphone’.
- On your smart mobile phone: go to ‘Settings’, >’Apps & notifications’, >’App permissions’, >’Location’ – turn on for Google app; and >’Microphone’ – turn on for Google app .
- Make sure you have got the Google app installed and open it.
- With Google giving you answers, you do not want ads and pop ups shown first. So, in Google Chrome ‘Settings’ ensure you >’block pop ups’, and install one or two independent ad blockers, e.g. Adblock Plus, AdGuard Adblocker or NoAds-Adblocker .
- Google ‘Data Saver’ compresses parts of web pages that are not needed on mobiles, and reduces unnecessary ads. On your PC or Tablet go to >Chrome, > ‘More tools’, > >’extensions’, >’more extensions’ at bottom, then click on ‘Data Saver’. Make sure this is set to ‘Enabled’.
- Also enable ‘Data Saver’ on your Android mobile. Go to >’Settings’, >’Network & Internet’, >’Data usage’ and check ‘Data Saver’ is on.
- Also install and open an independent Ad blocker, such as WebGuard, on your mobile. Available in the (Google) Play Store.
- Finally go to TechAdvisor’s ‘How to use Google Assistant‘.
- To activate a voice search, say, “Ok Google”.” And, if possible, the source you prefer for answers, e.g. “What does the NHS say about….”
Actions? If you take decisions on your own health, using the answers to your questions, recommend putting them into your draft personal healthcare plan, for discussion with your doctor.
page updated 09 Dec. 2018. © 2018 social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.