Here are 9 simple ways to stop or delay the serious complications of diabetes, e.g. heart diseases and strokes from which most of us with diabetes die , kidney problems and foot ulcers. [Time to read: 6 mins]
Most of us with diabetes fail to achieve our treatment targets .
9 ways to improve your health and live longer, using NHS clear and trusted answers, and recent research:
- Why does NICE recommend your diabetes retinal eye screening every year? Helps to prevent sight loss.
2. What does NHS Choices say about diabetes and foot care? Must read the whole web page and when to get NHS help. Look at ‘Foot problems’ photos to avoid foot ulcers and worse, e.g. Why important to choose the right shoes? Remember to moisturise your feet often to keep the skin supple, and always wear shoes and socks that fit properly.
3. What does charity Diabetes UK say about managing my exercise better?
5. Diabetes worsens the effects of smoking on your heart. If you smoke, stop. Get Local NHS support to quit smoking.
6. Depression is twice as common in people with diabetes, but often not recognised [Li et al, 2010]. This can lead to you not doing all your treatments, and to high blood sugars . The BBC’s Doctor says you should ask yourself 2 questions every year to check for depression. Look at: Lawrence’s video story about his depression, & his solution.
7. Four out of every 5 people with diabetes die from a heart disease or a stroke [CVDs, 4]. Want to check your personal risk of CVDs now? . Enter your % risk in your own plan.
Want to reduce your risks? Read pages on prevent heart diseases, and prevent strokes, and put your decisions on actions in your own plan.
8. Visit a Diabetes & Heart Forum for patients, to see what others like you have done, and what was successful? Watch a teenager’s story about getting Type 1 diabetes.
10. Look at other often asked diabetes questions & answers.
page updated 21 March 2018. © 2018 social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.