Why could you, or should you, start your personal health and healthcare plan? Or help one you love to plan?
- What are you doing with your own health data, or those of one love?
- What are health experts telling you now about personal health planning
- Your possible next steps?
1. What are you doing now with your own health data?
Many of us are now starting to get big personal health data from our digital monitors, smart watches, smartphone apps. e.g. home blood pressure & heart rate monitors, exercise recorders, all with their own apps; and from our own NHS app health record. What are you doing with this data?
One day soon our health data will become our own health data, and our duty will be to take action before we get seriously ill — not after. Self-managing is now the future of healthcare. Also, patients have now experienced the convenience of telehealth and 90% are satisfied with the experience [Sykes.com, USA 2020 telehealth survey].
2. What are health experts telling you now about personal health planning
As the new NHS long-term plan [Jan. 2019] says, “Patients’ Personal Health Records will hold a personal care plan that includes information added by the patients themselves, and their home carers. Making care plans available to the patient and all clinicians caring for them will help ensure the right care actions are taken in good time” [para. 5.15].
“This is a no-brainer,” Dr Michael Snyder, the director of the Center for Genomics and Personalized Medicine at Stanford University, tells us. “Everyone already does home shopping. Why would we not do home healthcare? Why wait to go to a doctor’s office where you can get a virus?”
‘Patient activation’ describes the knowledge, skills and confidence a person has in managing their own health and care. Evidence shows that when people are supported to become more activated, they benefit from better health outcomes, improved experiences of care and fewer hospital admissions [Health Foundation, August 2018].
3. Your possible next steps?
- So go to next pages on:
- 1. Benefits of creating your personal health plan.
- 2. How to build your own plan,
- 3. Suggested make-up and headings of your plan.
page updated 14 August 2020. © 2020 social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.