- Our aim: better health for longer, using just those trusted UK/NHS web pages that answer your own questions.
- Health benefits from your prevention actions?
- So, next steps for you, or your family?
[Time to read: 4 mins.]
1. This prevention website aim
Why this new health website? Good news is the latest Public Health England (PHE) 2018 statistics say we are all living longer. Bad news is we are spending much of our extra time in poor health – around 16 years of ill-health for men and 19 years for women. Not good! So enjoy your health longer by simple steps here.
2. Health benefits from your prevention actions
Action 1. Spot your health problems here, sooner before they hit you. Have the life you want, stay well and enjoy it more for longer. Share stories with others, to help self-manage your own health. Does not replace advice from your medical doctors and nurses. Helps you understand what they tell you, and reminds you when you want.
Action 2. Record your exercise, blood pressure, and blood sugars, on your home monitors with linked mobile phone apps. So work on your own health plan sitting comfortably at home, with your home carer(s) and a mobile or tablet handy. Then act earlier to enjoy your health for longer. You could enjoy good health for 6 to 9 years longer. [Evidence page, references nos. 3, 11, 28].
Action 4. As one person when first told he had diabetes, said, “Initially it really is, erm… certainly was for me, a real – I was in shock. And that begs many questions you want to ask and you’ve got to kind of put in a request to see somebody, no, hang on, why can’t I just have an answer to my question, simple little thing, that’ll put my mind at rest?” 
Get trusted health knowledge, 24/7, e.g. from the NHS, using this website’s links to the right trusted page you need out of hundreds, from your own questions here.
Action 5. Fewer days in hospital, because you act sooner, will improve your life and cut NHS costs .
Action 6. Most people say they forget within about 3 days their target blood pressure, target weight and other numbers they have agreed with their doctor [BMC Fam Pract. 2015]. So help to make your own written, health personal plan here as the UK NHS advises [NG 28] & British Heart Foundation advises.
3. Next steps to better health for longer? What part of your health, or of family member, do you want to look at:
- What is my risk of diabetes in the next ten years?
- Know I’m at risk of diabetes, how do I avoid getting it
- What is my risk of getting a heart disease, how do I prevent it?
- What is my risk of having a stroke, how do I avoid one
- Know that my lifestyle. e.g. weight, smoking, diet. exercise, is not good – how best to improve it?
- I have another health question – insert question in search box below.
Please give feedback, in ‘Reply’ box at foot of any page, and change language of site if you wish. As this website is continually developing, are there any changes or additions you’d like?
page updated 24 Dec. 2019. © 2019 social enterprise Diabetes-cutmyrisks.co.uk.™ Ltd.